Monday, January 17, 2011

Research

I have officially begun to research things for my book. 'Officially' meaning that I have got books about certain subjects and am reading them to generate ideas for my books and world. Namely, I am reading books about witchcraft and runes, divination and all that stuff. And witchcraft, or Wicca, is far, far, from what I ever expected it to be. From my understanding of it so far, it's (almost disappointingly) about order and balance and good stuff. Maybe I was naive to think otherwise but that's not what I thought it'd be about. Anyway, it's giving me many ideas on different ways I can go with the magic system in my books, which is really really good because I had absolutely no idea how it would be before. The subject I can't wait to read about though is alchemy and I'll have to wait until tomorrow for those to come in the mail.

I've also got a load of writing books that will be here in a few days, most of them are recommendations from storyfix.com. I found one of the books he recommended at the bookstore, it's called The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler. Oh my gosh. I wish I had this book the first time I decided to write a book! It's like the best thing in the world! It explains the different character roles that come up in books and the structure and everything and I can see it all now; next time I write a draft I will actually know what goes in the middle! I can't wait to get my hands on the other books now!

I'm also getting The Language Construction Kit by Mark Rosenfelder since I may want to create my own language. His website here gives a lot of information about how to create realistic languages as well, so, if you've ever wanted to create a language go check it out, it's got some very useful information.

Also, you may have noticed the word count chart in the sidebar (from here). Those are my goals for each month! 25,000 words a month, I have no idea if I can do it. Though I'm sure that NaNo will catch me up if I'm behind ;) And yes, I really haven't written a single word this month. I'm still developing everything.

And you might see the blog background and templates and stuff change a bunch until I find something I really like.

So, what books have helped you with your writing and idea generating process?

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Are you gonna read the Malleus Maleficarum? :D

TayLyee said...

Trisha- Nah, I don't think so. Looks like it's more about how to punish witches and stuff along those lines. I want to see the other side of it, how they perform their magic and what not so I can have a variety of things to pull from when developing the magical system in my books.