Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Row80 Update 5/11

Well, there's not much progress to speak of  these last three days. I didn't write anything on mothers day, nor Monday, and not yesterday either. I slacked one day and then everything falls apart. I'm gonna get back on track today.

During these three days though, I realized some things that were very wrong with the story so far. So I'm going to try to fix them, get things a bit more organized in my mind.

Starting next week I'm going to be taking guitar and violin lessons. (That's what I was doing yesterday, getting my violin looked at and fixed.) I know it'll be a distraction from writing but it's something I really want to learn, just as much as I love to write. And I really do need to learn how to work with distractions cause right now I just can't. So we'll see how that goes.

Does anyone here play an instrument? I have to say I'm curious :)

4 comments:

Luanne G. Smith said...

Nope, can't play any instruments. But I think, creatively, it's good to have different interests. Sometimes they actually feed each other instead of distracting.

Shari said...

I actually "help" my son with his violin lesson, and, under duress, can pull off twinkle twinkle, or hot cross buns (Eff sharp ee dee. Eff sharp ee dee. dee dee dee dee ee ee ee ee eff sharp ee dee.) I think you'll feed the work, rather than pull away :-) best of luck to you and your goals!!!

Claire Legrand said...

Don't get down about "slacking off" (which, by the way, is an extremely negative phrase, and I would recommend not using it). Missing a day or two -- or even a week! -- of productivity is no big deal. The important thing is getting back to work as soon as is realistically possible, and you seem to be doing that. Plus, time away from writing is just as important as time spent writing, in my opinion. It's good to let the words breathe, and since we draw our writing inspiration from Real Life and our personal experiences, the more deeply and thoroughly we live, the better. :)

Also, things like guitar and violin lessons may not be writing, but they do what I said above -- they enrich our lives and expose us to parts of life and of ourselves that we didn't know existed. Very important. I'm excited for you!

Good luck as you begin your lessons, and happy writing!

TayLyee said...

L.G. Smith, I hope it works that way!

Shari, Thank you!