Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Author Names

It's probably way to early to be thinking about anything like this, but for a year or so now I've had an idea for my published author name. It's pretty much a shortened version of my real name but I like it. The only thing that keeps making me doubt it is that maybe it sounds a bit girly and that would make some people hesitate from picking up a book under such a name or buy it.

The name I have in mind is Tay Lyee Rose.

Is that too girly or something? Would you pick up a book by that author?

See, I didn't have much of a problem using that name before but then I read some stuff about how the author name may stop people from buying a book. And then I got to thinking, 'Oh great, my name sounds really girly doesn't it. Maybe I should change it.' But I don't really want to change it.

And are author names really that important? Because I haven't ever not bought a book just because the name of the author who wrote it. In my view, the name of the author has nothing to do with the content of the book, even if it's not their real name. In fact, I think it's kinda cool to write under a pseudonym as opposed to your real name.

So what do you guys think? Would a certain author name stop you from buying a book? How important do you think the authors name really is when it comes to selling?

4 comments:

Erin said...

I like the name, but then again author names don't stop me from buying a book or encourage me to buy it, either! I think the title and cover are even more important, so start daydreaming about those. =)

Quitting My Day Job

TayLyee said...

Erin- I have little problems with book titles and already think about book covers, and make them. A lot. ;D Glad you like the name!

Claudie A. said...

I don't see a problem with the name either. I mean, yeah, you have to expect there might be uninformed people who, upon reading, will think you're a woman. I honestly don't see why that would stop them from buying it.

I did something similar than you with my name on the blog and put an initial instead of my full name. The reason is pretty simple: my last name is long, super-French and hard to say right for the english speakers. I figured I'd keep it simple for you guys. ;)

TayLyee said...

Claudie A- Well, I am a woman but it's just I sometimes get the vibe of 'Romance Novelist Name' or something silly like that, when I'm writing dark(ish) fantasy.

And now I wonder what your last name is. :p